FACTS ABOUT PRACTICE & LICENSURE IN ARIZONA
- Under A.R.S. Section 32-2091.12, it is a class 2 misdemeanor to practice behavior analysis, including supervising, in Arizona without a license.
- Behavior Analysts are required to be licensed by the Board of Psychologist Examiners to practice independently in Arizona. This includes a BCBA supervising an Arizona-based trainee, whether in-person or remotely.
- Supervision takes place in the state where the trainee is delivering behavior analytic services, regardless of the state in which the supervisor is located.
- How do I know if I qualify for licensure?
- State of Emergency Temp License for Independent Practice: For information and to download the application for a temporary independent license for out-of-state behavior analysts, please see the COVID-19 ADVISORY page.
- Zakiya Mallas is the Licensing Specialist for Behavior Analysts. To contact Zakiya (Zah-KEE-yah) please email her at [email protected].
Application Process Overview for Behavior Analysts
Not sure how this works? Please review this overview of the application process, including which application to submit, and how an application is reviewed and approved.
FAQ - Supervised Experience (Fieldwork) Verification
Have questions about verifying your supervised experience/fieldwork hours? Can't locate your supervisor? Want to know your options? This FAQ answers all these questions and more.
Forms & Applications
GO TO Universal Recognition Application
1. Behavior Analyst Application for Licensure
You do not need to live in Arizona to apply for a BA license with this application. Instructions and requirements are on the first page of this application packet. Current Version has 05/2021 Revised Date. We do not yet have an initial online application. Please see Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 32-2091.02, A.R.S. § 32-2091.03 and Arizona Administrative Code (A.A.C.) R4-26-203 through R4-26-406 for requirements. (Statutes and Rules can be found on the Statutes and Rules page of the website.)
Please download and complete the PDF application:
Behavior Analyst Application for Licensure
This application was updated on 08/2021. Earlier forms cannot be accepted. Instructions and list of application materials required may be found on the first page of the application packet.
BA SUBMISSIONS PORTAL: Upload applications and supporting materials via the submissions portal. Only one document may be uploaded at a time. This is by design for tracking purposes.
Supporting Documents & Verification Forms
The forms below are also included in the application packet. If you are unable to digitally separate the verification form from the packet, please download the below verification form.
PLEASE NOTE, as of August 1, 2019, verification that an applicant passed the BACB's BCBA certification exam will be independently obtained by Board staff.
For professional conduct questions in this application, if the answer is "yes", appropriate documentation is required. Please review this PDF for a list of the associated documentation or evidence that must be submitted to the Board if your answer to the question is “yes”.
(Make as many copies as needed) If you are applying the same hours towards licensure that you used for BCBA certification, your supervisor may submit your BACB Final Experience Verification forms your supervisor signed and that you submitted to the BACB for your BCBA certification instead of this verification form. If you are applying different supervised hours, use this verification form.
R4-26-403(C)(2) requires that verifications be sent directly from your supervisor to the Board's office. Verifications included with your application will not be accepted.
The BACB Final Experience Verification form for Multiple Supervisors at One Organization lacks information the Committee on Behavior Analysts and the Board need to determine if the experience meets Arizona's requirements. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide the additional materials. To that end, for any organization at which you were supervised by more than one individual through the duration of the entire experience, please complete Arizona's Multiple Supervisors at One Organization form and provide the additional materials listed in the instructions. This form is not needed if you had only one supervisor for the duration of a supervised experience.
All applicants are required to provide proof of lawful presence in the United States.
Please use this checklist to determine if you have completed all requirements for your license application as a Behavior Analyst.
2. Behavior Analyst Application for Licensure by Universal Recognition
This is the "reciprocity" application. PLEASE READ "WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY BY UNIVERSAL RECOGNITION?" below before filling out this application. On August 27, 2019, the Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners began accepting applications for licensure by universal recognition. Read the related Statute on the Arizona State Legislature's website: A.R.S. § 32-4302.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY BY UNIVERAL RECOGNITION?
The universal recognition statute (A.R.S. § 32-4302) allows Arizona residents to use an out-of-state professional or occupational license to qualify for an Arizona license to work. To qualify, an applicant must:
- Prove that you have established residence in Arizona (See the Board's Substantive Policy Statement on page 2 for a list of acceptable evidence). You must have established residence in Arizona to qualify for licensure by Universal Recognition.
- Be currently licensed or certified for at least one year in another U.S. state or territory in the discipline applied for and at the same level of practice as recognized in Arizona. BCBA certification is NOT a license; it is a national specialty certification that demonstrates you meet the minimum national standards of the profession. A state license authorizes the holder to practice their profession within the state's borders.
- Be in good standing in all states where currently or previously licensed or certified. Verification is required directly from the licensing board to the Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners for all licenses or certifications ever held regardless of the status of the license or certification. Please contact your licensing board for their instructions to request to have verification sent to the Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners. The only exceptions to this are states that provide online verifications only or are appropriate for license applications: Colorado, Indiana, Maine, Nebraska, Virginia, and Washington State. Verifications for these states are obtained by Board staff. All other states may email or mail license verifications to this Board. If they will email the verification, please provide the following email address for this purpose: [email protected].
- Have met all applicable education, work, exam, and/or clinical supervision requirements in the other state where originally licensed or certified.
- Pay the $350 application fee.
Download and complete the PDF application:
Behavior Analyst Application for Licensure by Universal Recognition - Instructions and list of application materials required may be found on the first page of the application packet.
BA SUBMISSIONS PORTAL: Upload applications and supporting materials for an applicant via the submissions portal. Only one document may be uploaded at a time. This is by design for tracking purposes.
Appropriate Documentation for "Yes" Answers: For questions 6-11 in this application, if the answer is "yes", appropriate documentation is required. Please see the PDF "Appropriate Documentation for "Yes" Answers" for a list of the associated documentation or evidence that the applicant must submit to the Board if the applicant’s answer to the question is “yes”. Please note, your application will not be administratively complete until all associated documentation and a written detailed explanation are received in the Board's office.
How to Pay Application Fees
Staff cannot process credit/debit cards. To pay the application fee by:
Credit or Debit Card: If paying by credit or debit card, please submit the application via the psychologist submissions portal. After your application has been entered into the Board's database, instructions will be sent by email. Due to the backlog we are currently experiencing, please allow 30 days for processing.
Check or Money Order: If paying the application fee by check or money order, please mail your application with your payment to the Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners. (Please make the check or money order out to the AZ Board of Psychologist Examiners.) It is recommended that a delivery service is used (i.e. FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) when sending checks or money orders. The Board is not responsible for lost mail.
Application for Fee Waiver
Arizona Revised Statutes § 41-1080.01 provides for a waiver of “any fee charged for an initial license for any individual or applicant whose family income does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines if the individual is applying for that specific license in this state for the first time.” If you believe that you qualify for the waiver, please use the application below and submit with your initial license application.
Download the PDF Application:
Application for Fee Waiver form
- Instructions are on the first page of the form.
- If you are applying for a fee waiver, DO NOT include the application fee with your application. Under these circumstances, any checks or money orders will be returned. Board staff will email you regarding your fee waiver application once review is completed.